Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Damage Done (June 5, 2013)

Marc was lost to me before I ever met him, the victim of a bad upbringing. By the time he disappeared, he had been kicked out of his apartment, lost countless jobs and alienated his few friends after borrowing money and ranting loose and drunk on 3 am phone calls. This is not something I would have predicted the first time we met in our grad school "Life Art" class when it became immediately clear we were kindred spirits. He laughed at my jokes and cried at my revelations, confiding in me his life story before we had even finished our first project.

I should have recognized the pattern of this exceedingly beautiful and generous man who immediately included me in his life, seeming to toss aside his straight female roommate and former best friend, even as she doted on him and did the cooking, cleaning, bill paying and whatever he demanded. He was the kind of man that could be so charming one was grateful for his attention, and he knew it.

I might have had a sense when he drank heavily sweetened drinks every night, turning liquid-eyed as he read to me from scripts he had written, rambling dialogs that seemed important, if hard to follow. But these signs were not enough to dissuade me. Marc and I were soul mates for a time: expressive, sensitive, larger than life and misunderstood. He was outspoken, beautiful, and emotionally intense. He made me feel special and I made him feel seen.

If he was shallow, that illusion only ran skin-deep. Marc saw the world through a veil of mistrust and pain, an effeminate boy who as a child had witnessed the murder of his father in their house. It was a fact that forever hung, like a monolith, in the back of my mind. Even on his favorite night, Christmas Eve, when his roommate would prepare a traditional Cuban feast under his tutelage and we'd sing carols together, Marc couldn't maintain. In the span of a few hours, he would transform from generous host and confidant to a ranting control freak who turned the stereo so loud that I spent my time furtively looking out the second story window of his Mission flat, waiting for the cops to appear.

One holiday was worse than the next and no matter how much his friends and I discussed Marc's problems, we couldn't seem to help him. You can't drag someone out from that kind of misery and most of the time, they can't pull themselves up either. I tried to keep loving him, and to be a part of his life, but he made it nearly impossible.

Once he fell out with his roommate, his support dried up and having used up every favor from his small group of friends, he had to leave San Francisco. Marc moved to Hollywood and after a self-reported "rocky start," seemed to be getting it together. Last time I saw him, he lived in a cute tiny apartment near the Kodak Theater with parquet floors and a collection of memorabilia carefully placed on shelves that lined the main room. He came out for coffee, talking, if too fast, about how hard life had been and how he was making changes by listening to a couple who helped people get rich with positive thinking. It was worrisome, but not terrible, or at least not yet rock bottom.

I don't know how much of what he told me was the truth and I'm not sure how long he stayed in that apartment from which he was eventually evicted. Marc's positive thinking didn't stop his mother and brother from rejecting him. With no friends, or money, or safety net, he lost whoever he had been to the streets. Last I heard he was stealing cough syrup and rubbing alcohol to get high. 

No phone, no place, no people, no trace.

No comments:

Post a Comment