Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Daily Write: Chopped (July 19, 2012. 12 minutes)

Chopped

"Only paupers walk barefoot," to which I should have replied, "Only paupers are nannies for the nouveau riche." Instead, I seethed in the kitchen, washing his precious wooden salad bowl without soap as I had been instructed after "nearly ruining it," and thought about how much money it would take for me to get out of this awful situation.

"When you're done, please be sure to shine the drain like I showed you," Connie said cheerfully, but with a slicing edge to her smile that made me feel like I was in the presence of the wicked step-mother. Not that either one was my parent, but at 19, I wasn't as old as I pretended to be, and they lived like the adult I imagined I'd become, albeit, I'd be nice.

Connie had also shown me how to vacuum her entry way rug so that the pile looked like a backgammon board, neat long triangles head to end, across the expensive oriental piece. I felt rich in the entry way, knowing as I did that there were three real fur coats in the closet to my left and leather jackets behind the expanse of louvered wooden doors in front of me.

To the right one walked through the kitchen, breakfast nook and towards the informal living room and parents' wing of the ranch-cum-Japanese house in the hills. That side of the sprawling house also held the custom wine "cellar" remodeled out of a former maid's closet. And, of course, the bathroom closest to the laundry room and kitchen. That was where Connie forced me to assist her in holding down her precious Himalayan kittens to wash and then blow dry.

Their bedroom was as big as 1/2 the double wide I had been living in previously and had two separate "his" and "hers" dressing rooms that were joined by a long bathroom containing two sinks, two toilets (well, one was a bidet) and a huge sunken tub that no one ever used.

But this was not my wing of the house. I lived on the other side, past the untouched formal dining room and living room, on the same branch as the guest bedroom with its endless supply of left over hotel shampoos, slippers, shower caps and first class airplane shaving kits, and, of course, the child's room. Pink and white, delightful and spacious. The exact opposite of the child herself, who could not have been less warm.

Because I was transient, I took all my belongings with me from job to job. This probably surprised my employers, who expected  maybe a girl with one suitcase and a few coats. But I wasn't simply looking for work, I was looking for a home. I did not realize how disturbing my bigness would be to any one of the families for which I worked. I didn't understand that I was not to have come from a life with things. I was not to be complicated or needy. Nor was I to argue or sigh. The fact that I washed the wooden bowl with dish detergent, walked barefoot and parked my behemoth of a beaten up Cutlass Supreme in their sloped driveway made it all wrong from the moment they returned from Vail, where they had been when I moved in over Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment